Wednesday, June 29, 2005

CHILDHOOD


When I was young I used to watch goldfish in a pond.
At night I said prayers to God.
My brother and I played war in a field of weeds,
We each hid in our fortress to plan out deeds.
Then machines excavated the field, it would rain,
Only mud stained our chains.

I would visit the pond more often then,
And on my way a man offered me candy on the street,
Orange slices and licorice were my treat.

When I was young I rode a horse named Cherokee,
I would gallop round and round a field near barns
Where chickens lived with porky pig.
Then salesmen in suits rubbed their chins and
Made our barns into money dens.
No more chickens or porky pig.

Cherokee died with his neck locked to a pole
Beside the goldfish in the pond
And the candy man moved away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home